Danita’s Children is a non profit organization with the intent of rescuing and caring for orphaned children, meeting their needs spiritually, physically, academically, emotionally. Founded by Danita Estrella in January 1999, the organization began with a small house and fourteen children in Ouanaminthe, Haiti. Currently Danita’s Children has 75 orphans living in three homes. A school provides an education to nearly 600 children and 17,000 meals are fed each month through the feeding program. A church and congregation of 500 Haitians provides a place of spiritual hope and a medical center for children is being built in 2009.
Currently, according to UNICEF and the US Agency for International Development, there are 143 Million orphans globally. Every day 5,760 more children become orphans. There are 300,000 child slaves in Haiti and an additional 404,000 to 460,000 orphans. The median age in Haiti is 18 years, meaning that 50% of the population is children, and roughly 8% of those children are without parents. Danita’s Children exists to answer the need for orphan rescue and care in Haiti and around the world.
Danita’s Children is a non profit 501(C)3 organization with its headquarters located in Orlando, Florida. The organization is governed by a seven member board of directors, and is managed by a CEO, an Executive Director and a 54 member staff.
We love and care for orphans.
We rescue, love and care for orphans, meeting their needs spiritually, physically, academically and emotionally preparing them for a brighter future.
Our Governing Values
• We follow the biblical directive and standards to love and care for orphans.
• We alleviate the suffering of children.
• We restore and demonstrate dignity and respect for orphaned and impoverished children.
• We prevent the exploitation of the vulnerable, abandoned, neglected, rejected and suffering child.
• We develop and maintain an approach to rescuing and caring for orphaned children, that meets their needs spiritually, physically, academically and emotionally.